Job title: Manager, Procurement
Reports to: Sr. Director, Procurement
In this role the successful candidate will help develop, maintain, and execute vendor strategies designed to achieve Cara’s corporate goals and objectives. The candidate must be a change agent, leading by example while remaining in sync with the overarching direction and evolution of the procurement function. The role requires active category knowledge with particular focus on clinical sourcing as well as change management support that challenges traditional spending behaviour, service level definition, and policy setting to enable productivity and efficiency improvements. The successful candidate must have excellent negotiation, analytical and communication skills with a proven ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure alignment on objectives and priorities.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand and support their sourcing needs (focus on clinical sourcing) and provide necessary guidance regarding procurement processes.
- Oversee planning, management, and execution of the full procurement life cycle from RFx stage to end of project reconciliation and close out.
- Lead end-to-end competitive sourcing initiatives to include bid list generation, requirements, management of RFP rules, development of selection criteria/ weighting, collaboration with internal stakeholders on supplier selection, cost analysis, and award notification.
- Negotiate a wide variety of contract types: CDA, MSA, SOW, SPA, CTA, SLA, Order Forms, etc.
- Identify and realize cost savings, cost avoidance, and cost reduction opportunities and build a culture of long-term savings on procurement costs without compromising supply assurance or quality.
- Continually explore new suppliers to optimize performance, efficiency, and transparency to stakeholders.
- Help develop, implement, and manage performance metrics and KPIs to proactively identify potential concerns, hold suppliers accountable, and uncover opportunities for process improvements and cost savings.
- Assist in developing financial analytics and reporting for project teams and various levels of management.
- Assist with monthly accruals, annual budgeting, and forecasting; ensure sourcing strategies are aligned with budget parameters.
- Support internal and external audit, vendor qualification, SOX compliance and due diligence requests as necessary.
- Build strong relationships and manage collaboration with vendors.
- Ensure sourcing practices are in accordance with corporate ethics, financial policy, and internal control requirements.
Qualifications include but not limited to:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration is required; advanced degree preferred
- 5-7 years of progressive experience in strategic sourcing, clinical outsourcing, procurement and/or vendor management experience in the bio-pharmaceutical industry required
- Outstanding organizational, planning, negotiation, financial management, and analytical skills
- In-depth knowledge of contracting terms, contract development/administration, procurement techniques, principles of negotiations, research and market analysis techniques required
- ERP/MRP system knowledge required; Beanworks experience a plus
- Advanced skills using Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio and procurement software and tools required
- Experience with SAP, Ariba, ClearTrial, Grant Plan preferred
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
Travel: Office or remote based with <20% travel
Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of U.S. or otherwise authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship now or in the future.