Job title: Associate Director, Business Development & Commercial Assessments
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer & Head of IR
In this role you will be responsible for supporting Cara’s short- and long-term business development and corporate strategy. The successful candidate will focus on identifying and evaluating potential business development, licensing and acquisition opportunities as well as helping to structure and negotiate business transactions.
This role is dynamic, fast-paced, highly visible, collaborative, and covers a broad range of strategic and business development initiatives that are critical to Cara’s business. The candidate is expected to collaborate and build strong relationships with multiple subject matter experts, business leaders, and members of the Cara executive team.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Proactively search for, identify, and evaluate potential opportunities (IND-ready and early-stage clinical assets or platform technologies) that are consistent with Cara’s near- and long-term strategic vision. Review external opportunities for scientific merit and feasibility.
- Lead the commercial assessment including evaluating the competitive landscape, projected market evolution, asset differentiation, and commercial potential of opportunities of interest. Develop timely recommendations and proposals for senior management.
- Support the due diligence efforts (in conjunction with relevant cross-functional SMEs and external partners) for advanced opportunities.
- Help develop appropriate deal structures, risk mitigation and negotiation strategies and ensure alignment with Cara’s objectives.
- Communicate status of ongoing projects to key internal stakeholders on a timely basis, including preparation of opportunity assessments and summaries for executive-level audiences. Deliver oral and written presentations to senior management.
- Build the Cara brand via participation and present Cara’s Vision & Mission at key scientific and industry forums. Network with external parties to ensure awareness of Cara’s key capabilities and business development objectives.
- Facilitate and maintain opportunity identification and assessment processes to move projects forward in the most efficient and effective manner and provide recommendations for advancing/deprioritizing ideas early and effectively.
Qualifications include but not limited to:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required; advanced degree in finance or business preferred
- Strong scientific background; advanced degree in biology, biochemistry, medicine or related discipline preferred
- At least 5 years of investment or healthcare industry experience in a relevant function (equity research, business development, search & evaluation, licensing, tech transfer, etc.)
- Strong financial and modeling background
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated negotiation and influencing skills with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on internal and external commitments
- Strong business acumen and ability to drive well-informed, fact-based decision making
Travel: Office or remote based with ~20% travel
Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of U.S. or otherwise authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship now or in the future.