Associate Director, Business Development & Commercial Assessments
Duties and responsibilities:
- Proactively search for, identify, and evaluate potential opportunities (IND-ready and early-stage clinical assets or platform technologies) that are consistent with Cara’s near- and long-term strategic vision. Review external opportunities for scientific merit and feasibility.
- Lead the commercial assessment including evaluating the competitive landscape, projected market evolution, asset differentiation, and commercial potential of opportunities of interest. Develop timely recommendations and proposals for senior management.
- Support the due diligence efforts (in conjunction with relevant cross-functional SMEs and external partners) for advanced opportunities.
- Help develop appropriate deal structures, risk mitigation and negotiation strategies and ensure alignment with Cara’s objectives.
- Communicate status of ongoing projects to key internal stakeholders on a timely basis, including preparation of opportunity assessments and summaries for executive-level audiences. Deliver oral and written presentations to senior management.
- Build the Cara brand via participation and present Cara’s Vision & Mission at key scientific and industry forums. Network with external parties to ensure awareness of Cara’s key capabilities and business development objectives.
- Facilitate and maintain opportunity identification and assessment processes to move projects forward in the most efficient and effective manner and provide recommendations for advancing/deprioritizing ideas early and effectively.
Qualifications include but not limited to:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required; advanced degree in finance or business preferred
- Strong scientific background; advanced degree in biology, biochemistry, medicine or related discipline preferred
- At least 5 years of investment or healthcare industry experience in a relevant function (equity research, business development, search & evaluation, licensing, tech transfer, etc.)
- Strong financial and modeling background
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated negotiation and influencing skills with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on internal and external commitments
- Strong business acumen and ability to drive well-informed, fact-based decision making