Title: Medical Science Liaison
Location: Field-Based – Northeast
Category: Medical Affairs
Employee Status: Full-time
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a member of a field-based team of scientists who function as an extension of the Medical Affairs organization. MSLs are responsible for developing and enhancing professional relationships with medical thought leaders throughout various phases of drug development. MSLs provide medical information through scientific exchange in a fair-balanced, ethical manner and provide clinical/scientific support for Cara Therapeutics and the Medical Affairs department at the direction of Medical Affairs management.
This is a field-based position and requires professionals to credibly interact with thought leaders and centers of excellence. The position involves travel of more than 60%.
***Candidates must live within the territory and close to a major airport.
Position will be filled at a level commensurate with experience (MSL/Sr. MSL/Executive MSL).
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Identify, develop and maintain collaborative relationships with current and future Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and healthcare stakeholders in disease states of strategic importance to Cara Therapeutics.
• Provide clinical presentations and information in response to unsolicited questions (as appropriate) in academic, community, healthcare provider, and managed care settings in both group and one-on-one settings.
• Collaborate with the Clinical R&D and Medical Affairs organizations to enhance patient enrollment in Cara-sponsored clinical trials by identifying appropriate trial sites and interacting with investigators in ongoing studies.
• Develop and execute territory plans in alignment with Medical Affairs strategy.
• Gather competitive intelligence including therapeutic trends and unmet needs within the appropriate disease states and marketplace and provide timely feedback/information on emerging clinical/scientific information and opportunities to internal stakeholders.
• Provide scientific support at medical congresses.
• Advanced scientific degree (MD, DO, PharmD, PhD, or DNP highly desired)
• Excellent interpersonal communication and presentations skills are required
• Full understanding of compliant interactions between MSLs and HCPs
• Must be a strong team player and effectively interface with other internal departments
• Overnight business travel of more than 60% is required
• Experience in Nephrology or Dermatology therapeutic areas with established track record of working with top tier KOLs preferred
• 2+ years Medical Liaison experience preferred